I've confessed that I get those days when I just really don't feel like cooking. The inspiration well has run dry, time is of the essence and that takeaway menu is starting to look tempting. Sound familiar? On Sunday I spent the day working (you didn't think this was my real job surely?) and when I got back I was exhausted, frustrated and ready for a pizza. Luckily for me, The Princess had a gorgeous - I don't use that word often, let's see how it fits - piece of tuna steak waiting for me. We started cooking and less than 10 minutes later we were eating.
I've mentioned before the health differences between whole wheat pasta and normal (http://jamiewhatshisname.blogspot.com/2009/07/ill-break-it-down-for-you-100g-of.html) but basically with half the calories and a third of the carbs you want to switch immediately to whole wheat. With the tuna you've got a phenomenal source of protein and the cherry tomatoes are a nice source of anti-oxidants. It is a ridiculously easy dish. Don't be scared of the tuna and DO NOT OVERCOOK IT! It is supposed to be rare.
Stuff you'll need to feed 2:
- 250g fresh tuna steak
- A decent amount of whole wheat linguini (about half a packet)
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 - 2 fresh chillies, finely chopped
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- Good olive oil
Okay, what to do:
1. Begin cooking the pasta as per the instructions. Whole wheat pasta takes a bit longer so allow for that.
2. Rub the fish with olive oil and cook in a dry, smoking hot pan for 2 minutes per side. NO MORE!
3. Remove the fish and cut/tear into pieces. Set aside.
4. Over a medium heat fry the garlic and chilli in olive oil until golden. Remove.
5. When the pasta is cooked, drain and add the garlic, chillies, tuna, tomatoes and parsley. Toss to combine, add a drizzle of olive oil and serve.
How easy was that? Clean, fresh flavours, super-healthy and ready in less than 10 minutes. Nothing wrong with that. Plus, you will love yourself for not getting that pizza. Trust me.