Jamie Who is a blog about everything. Except current affairs. And politics. Also science, sport, religion, celebrities, movies, media and marketing, technology, business and design. So...basically Jamie Who is a blog about food. All things food.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ile De Pain - Everything tastes like rainbows


I ate for the A-Team on the recent trip to Knysna. My first stop (as it always is when I get there) was Ile De Pain. I have put this place on a bit of a pedestal and rate it as one of my favourites in the whole country so the stakes were high when I stopped in for lunch. I wasn't disappointed...

Splashing out from her normal conservative approach to ordering, The Dragon went for the "fingerfood" tasters (R68). Basically, this is a little sample of some of the items on the menu and I must say it left me a bit jealous. She received a mini-burger, some shredded duck, creamy mozzarella and smoked trout. This is served on an assortment of their famous breads and is an awesome way to taste the variety on offer. The Princess was seemingly hungry and went for the slow-roasted beef fillet. This arrived on fresh rocket leaves and was drizzled with truffle oil. The meat was unreal and the portion-size was perfect for lunch. At R82, you could do far worse! I went for the beef burger(R65, no chips thank you) and it was amazing. A homemade patty from quality meat, served with their own tomato relish and a lightly toasted bun. It was unpretentious and tasty. Exactly what a burger is supposed to be. The cappuccino was declared by those who had them as one of the best they have tasted.

We obviously didn't leave empty handed and the sourdough, 100% rye and sesame-crusted breadsticks kept us going for the next few days.

I set the bar pretty high for this place but they always seem to meet and exceed my expectations. If ever you are in Knysna, do yourself a favour and visit them. Trust me. Get hold of them on 044 302 5707.

Cheers,
Jamie Who

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Definately one of the best restaurants in SA!!!