Jamie Who is a blog about everything. Except current affairs. And politics. Also science, sport, religion, celebrities, movies, media and marketing, technology, business and design. So...basically Jamie Who is a blog about food. All things food.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dassiesfontein. Keep your eyes on the road.


I've headed down to Plett for a week so expect loads of reviews from some of my favourite places to eat in the country. The Garden Route is heaven for a foodie. There are loads of restaurants, fisheries, butchers and delis and a couple of fresh produce markets if you know where to look.

To get to Plett you pass a couple of farm-stalls along the way, with The Houw Hoek Inn and The Blue Crane being two of the most popular. This time I decided to stop at Dassiesfontein. You know the place. It has always intrigued me so I gave it a try. Oops...

There is a very fine line between laid-back, country vibe and chicken-shit on the floor vibe. Surely any kitchen cooking food should have some sense of pride and cleanliness? Apparently not. I must say the fresh bread smelt really good but I just couldn't see the appeal as I concentrated on dodging the livestock. The pre-made stuff looked good with jams and preserves on offer but again I was left wondering what conditions they were prepared in. Oh, did I mention the FISH DRYING ON STRING BY THE ENTRANCE? Not great. I passed.

Do you yourself a favour and pull into The Blue Crane. They have nailed the rustic, country food and are exactly halfway between CT and Plett.

Cheers,
Jamie Who

No comments: