Jamie Who is a blog about everything. Except current affairs. And politics. Also science, sport, religion, celebrities, movies, media and marketing, technology, business and design. So...basically Jamie Who is a blog about food. All things food.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Whole wheat linguini with blue cheese, walnuts and wild rocket


Jeeeeeeeeez, I hate it when people say "oh this? I just made this with whatever ingredients I could find". Sure you did. That quail just happened to be in the freezer. So I understand if you're going to be pissed off with me starting this recipe with "I just made this from stuff I had lying around." But honestly, I did. See...I insist on having some cheese in the fridge. Good cheese. Strong cheese that smells. Unashamedly. Like it's proud to be stinky. Anyway, I had some unbelievable blue cheese in my fridge and (inspired by the classic waldorf salad) I used it as the base for this recipe. It is embarrassingly easy to make. 

As with any dish, the better the ingredients the better the dish. When it is this simple though, that philosophy is even more important. So get the best you can. 

Okay, stuff you'll need to feed 4:
  • A block of blue cheese the size of a tennis ball, torn into chunks. 
  • A packet of whole wheat linguini (or any long pasta) 
  • The zest of three lemons
  • A handful of walnuts
  • A big bunch of wild rocket 
Okay, what to do:

1. Cook the pasta as per the instructions. 

2. Drain pasta and add blue cheese immediately so it begins to melt. 

3. Add the lemon zest, the rocket and the walnuts. Stir through pasta to ensure everything is mixed properly. 

4. To serve, place in deep bowls and drizzle over some extra-virgin olive oil. (The best you have. I'm a big fan of Tokara and Willow Creek) 

Yip, that's it. Could be the easiest recipe I've ever put up here. Which is proof that tasty food doesn't have to be fancy food. 

Cheers,
Jamie Who

7 comments:

Hila said...

First thing I thought when I saw the title was "ooo waldorf salad pasta"

I call it Kitchen Witching, when you take what you have available and make a delicious meal, my favourite way of cooking actually

Nina Timm said...

Jamie, you did well with "stuff that was lying around!" I guess us foodies always have interesting stuffs lying around!!!

Marisa said...

I have to disagree, this is definitely fancy food. Of course fancy food doesn't necessarily mean difficult-to-make food. And I'm also a firm believe that we all need a bit of fancy in our every day lives.

Forage said...

mmm like the way you roll. Anything with cheese that is ready to talk back is my kind of food. I just don't get wholewheat pasta... I've tried.

Jamie Who said...

Glad everyone likes this one. Can't go wrong with amazing cheese.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful flavours - the bite of the blue cheese and the peppery rocket is a great combination.

Texture? Not so much. Not quite 'bath sealant' gummy, but close. Needed many extra glugs of Willow Creek Extreme Virgin World Champion (or whatever it's called underneath all the medals) olive oil to make it palatable.

I never have much luck with whole wheat pasta. Anyone have a source in CT that doesn't taste like julienned Fedex carton?

Anonymous said...

Hey! This sounds amazing, can't wait to try it. Your whole blog is fantastic, thanks for inspiring aspiring foodie bloggers such as I.