Jamie Who is a blog about everything. Except current affairs. And politics. Also science, sport, religion, celebrities, movies, media and marketing, technology, business and design. So...basically Jamie Who is a blog about food. All things food.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Wine of the week - Idiom Cape Blend 2006


I've realised that my Wines of The Week haven't exactly been of the "cheap and cheerful" type lately. I realise this may seem like I am a snob. Far from it. I enjoy a glass or bottle of well-priced wine. I've got no problem with it. In fact, discovering a little gem is often far more rewarding to me than enjoying wine that you know is good. That said, there are times when you need wine to celebrate. You need a special bottle to enjoy and savour. There is also no doubt that mood and circumstance can have an effect on how good (or bad) a wine can taste. So perhaps I should explain what I was going through when we opened this one.

Long Distance, Prego and I had just finished the African X (well, 2 of the 3 days. The last one had to be cancelled because of dangerous weather). My left knee felt like a midget was standing under the table stabbing me in the leg. My toenails were black. My back ached. I had blisters the size of golfballs on both feet. But I felt awesome. Six mates (the others were staying somewhere else...shame) had pushed ourselves and our bodies for 65km's through some of the most beautiful trail running around. We sat and traded war-stories. I had thrown a leg of lamb into the oven about 4 hours earlier and the smell of rosemary and garlic was filling the room. I needed a drink. 

Prego had brought along a bottle of the Idiom Cape Blend 2006. We decanted it, gave it as much time as our patience could manage and poured ourselves a glass. On the nose, pomegranate. With a bit of something sweet. Maybe honeycomb? If that sounds weird, it is. But good weird. Anyway, from the first sip it was brilliant. Full-bodied and with the ability to linger in every millimeter of your mouth, it made all the sweat of the two previous days worth it. 

We managed to drink the wine slow enough to enjoy some of it with the lamb, which proved to be a great pairing. Again, the situation may have helped that. A roaring fire and watching the rain lash into a wild sea 20 metres from where we sat can do that I guess...

Next time I promise I'll showcase something a bit more entry-level. But if you're celebrating this is a good one. Trust me, my knee felt instantly better. 

Cheers,
Jamie Who

P.S. The wine itself is a blend of Pinotage, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot and Merlot. It comes from a Stellenbosch winery and  should cost you about R145 - R155 from wine boutiques.  

1 comment:

Foodie said...

Nice one. Their Sangiovese is pretty awesome too. But their Zinfandel is best avoided, unless you're pairing with something super-herbaceous. Like Shredded Rosemary Bush. Or Stem of Grass. Too much on its own...